Saturday, March 12, 2011

Desire

Psalm 37:4

Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

I think the order of this verse is important. Delight in the Lord comes first. I think that we like it the other way. When we get the desires of our heart we are pleased with God, but when we don’t get our way we start showing displeasure. Unfortunately when delighting in the Lord doesn’t come first, the desires of our heart tend to be self centered, self serving, and short term. In the long run, it is probably good for us that we do not get the desires of our heart when we do not delight in the Lord. When I am not delighting in the Lord, my desires are probably wishes that would result in a great deal of heartache for myself and others. On the other hand, when I find myself delighting in the Lord, I find my ways closer to His ways and the desires of my heart become worthy enough to see the light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment