Monday, March 14, 2011

Commitment

Psalm 37:5

Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

Commitment means a great deal to me in my faith life. I first committed myself to Christ around six years old. I’m sure I didn’t understand all that it meant, but I remember that with all my heart I wanted to live in God’s way. I did my best for most of the next eleven years, but then I really fell hard.

As a young adult I struggled to shed my faith. I not only rebelled in my behavior, but in my mind I tried to leave this immature belief in God behind. I was mostly successful, but my heart would never agree that Jesus was not real nor present in my being. So after about four years of struggle I gave up, and ignored my faith. This time of my life was perhaps more dark than the period of struggle.

Finally, after about four more years, everything changed. EVERYTHING CHANGED! My world was turned upside down and I didn’t discover faith, I discovered that commitment means something and my faith had been reawakened. I discovered that even when I tried to break my agreement that Christ was not going to break his. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do! He will act, he will abide, he will provide. And even when we break our commitment, he finds ways to show us that he is worthy of our trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment