Wednesday, September 30, 2009

U2 in Charlottesville - Part II

Months later, and they are here. It seems like forever ago that I bought tickets to this U2 show at Scott Stadium tomorrow, but now it's only a day away. I find myself speculating a bit as consistent rumours indicate the release of a new album in several months titled "Songs of Ascent." I've really enjoyed the new U2 album "No Line on the Horizon" but after listening the first few times felt like if the book of Lamentations or Ecclesiastes could be set to music, NLOTH would be the result.

We rarely take the time in our world to lament the lamentable. It seems that bad news and tragedy bombard us day to day through media so much that we protect ourselves by forgeting the art of lamentation. Of meditating deeply on the sorrow and pain and struggle of life. When I hear NLOTH, I find depression, but somehow in that depression, joy springs forth. A joy of hope and new life. A joy of knowing that everything will be alright if I bend my spirit to define alright by a higher standard than my own. A depression that creates suspense, anticipation for redemptiom and restoration.

That's why I'm excited to hear the title of this new album may be "Songs of Ascent." If joy shines through while surrounded by the depression, imagine the power when the cloud of sadness is lifted and redemption is realized; when joy springs forth like a just released sling shot bursting into air. Could it be that "Songs of Ascent" will be the realization of the hope only hinted at in NLOTH.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this whole U2 thing. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment