Saturday, November 13, 2010

Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose

I haven't posted in a while, and just embedding a video seems a little like cheating, but this one is changing the way I think about life just a bit.  Among other things, what would otherwise just be another lecture becomes quite engaging with the animation.  I've used this video in a leadership class that I teach and I've been thinking about how the lesson intersects with my own life.  It is around ten minutes long, but worth the watch.  I'll give you my thoughts under the video.



My take-away from this is that traditional ideas on "carrot and stick" motivation is a bit over-rated. The trio of Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose motivates us to excellence. Believe it or not, I think this applies to our faith as well. I plan to think about this some over the next few days and offer some thoughts about how these understandings reflect what we may already know about our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment