Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Hope Indeed

Chapter 15 of Job gives us a second round of words from Eliphaz. More of the same. Suffering is a consequence of evil. Job is suffering, therefore, he is reaping his just rewards. Perhaps Eliphaz is not too far off, but in his persecution of Job, he allows himself a free pass. In this theology, one's righteousness may be judged by one's condition of life. Is this true? If so, then wealth and health and prosperity would be the sign of goodness. Lot begins to reply in chapter 16. He indicates that he could also make these arguments if he sat in the place of Eliphaz, but he does not, so what is he to do.

What does Job mean in verses 19-21 in chapter 16: "Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high. My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of man he pleads with God as a man pleads for his friend." There is hope. There is a redeemer. In this world we will have trouble, but take heart for I have overcome this world! (John 16:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment