Friday, July 10, 2009

Judge Not

Bildad replies to Job in chapter 18. More of the same. Job offers another reply in chapter 19. Job seems to lament his loss of connection. He believes that he has been deserted by his acquantances, his family, his friends, and even his God. This is what Satan tried to get at in his argument to God. Remove all of man's protection and we'll see how mindful he becomes of You!

Job is clear by now that he has nothing left but the "skin of his teeth" (v.20) and this is worthless. His life is worthless, there is no value in his even existing except... except this: "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God." (v. 26) There is nothing in me of value apart from God. Be I rich or poor, successful or a failure, healthy or ill, there is nothing worthy in me but God in me. Job still refuses to deny God despite his earthly condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment